Friday, March 28, 2008

Easy Baklava..


I love Baklava, but a most times when you buy it, it's a dry, tasteless lump. I came across this recipe on-line, tried it, and my whole family fell in love with it. It is the best recipe ever, and it's pretty easy to whip up.


Easy Baklava


1 lb. walnuts (roughly chopped)

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 (16 ounce) pkg. frozen phyllo dough (thawed)

1 cup butter, melted

1 cup white sugar

1 cup water

1/2 cup honey

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. grated lemon zest (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

Toss together cinnamon and walnuts. Unroll the phyllo and cut whole stack in half to fit baking dish. Cover phyllo with a damp cloth while assembling baklava, to keep it from drying out.

Place 2 sheets of phyllo in baking dish. Brush generously with butter. Sprinkle 2 - 3 tbsp. of nut mixture on top. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with about 6 sheets of phyllo. Using a sharp knife, cut all the way through to the bottom of the dish into four long rows, then diagonally (9 times) to make 36 diamond shapes.

Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

While baklava is baking, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in honey, vanilla and lemon zest, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately pour sauce over baklava. Let cool before serving.


4 comments:

Ange said...

I love Baklava too but always think it will be too fiddly to make myself, you may have convinced me its time to give it a whirl

Tory said...

Yeah, it's really easy Ange, try it.
Tory

Cheating Death said...

Is there a recipe on this site that you didn't steal from someone else?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baklava/Detail.aspx

Tory said...

At the beginning of every recipe I post, I mention where I got it. I posted this recipe because it has become one of my favorites and is easy to make. I also mentioned I got it on-line...and my kids want me to put some of their faves on here for them. You have a bad attitude, so feel free not to come on here again with your redundent comments! Thanks.
Take care
Tory