Saturday, February 9, 2008

Creton



As some of you may or may not know, I am originally from Quebec. There is not a lot I really miss about living there, but there are a few things I do. One of the things I miss is a French Canadian pate called 'Creton'. It has a very distinct smell and taste from other pates. One day I had a terrible craving for the stuff, but alas, there is none to be found anywhere in Ontario, unless of course, you live right on the border of Quebec. As I pondered the fact that I may never taste creton again, I remembered that you could find almost anything if you google it. Aha! I had never made it before, as it is readily available from any supermarket in Quebec, so I really had no idea what went into it. So, I looked over several recipes, noting the similarities between them. I happened upon a fast microwave version. I decided to give it a try. It almost seemed too easy. Voila! As soon as I got a whiff of it, I knew it was the right recipe. It passed the taste test very well, although, the next time I made it, I increased the amount of spices called for. Perfect and simple. I know the combination of spices with meat may sound unusual, but the French Canadians are famous for putting cinnamon and allspice into their recipe's that call for ground meat. Try it with toast and mustard.
The pictures don't do it justice, I must say.


Quick Microwave Cretons


1 lb. ground pork

1 cup milk

8 crushed soda crackers or 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs

1 chopped onion

2 minced garlic cloves

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. cloves

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper


Put all ingredients into a microwave safe bowl.

Mix well.

Cook on High for 5 minutes.

Mix again.

Cook on High for 5 more minutes

Mix again.

Cook 3 more minutes.

Mix and let rest 6 minutes.


Process slightly in food processor. This pate should be course, so don't over process.

Chill.

No comments: